Tuesday 19 March 2013

DESPERATELY SEEKING THE RIGHT WATERFALL


The waterfall in the picture above is in Caldbeck, and is in fact the cold river from which the village takes its name. Although this is not the waterfall which will eventually appear on the cover of Bride of the Spear, it makes a striking design with the moon pendant.

I made this pendant for Kathleen when she was a highly successful author in the 1980s. A moon necklace, with the three aspects of the moon- waxing, full and waning, (representing the triple aspects of the Mother Goddess- Maiden, Mother, Crone) plays an important role in Queen of the Lightning, and this was my modern interpretation of it.

The Mothers are an important presence in the Northern Kingdoms Trilogy, and I feel the design is timeless and iconic. Kathleen thought so too, and can be seen wearing it in some of her author photographs.

So .... one element of the cover design is settled. Meanwhile, the search for the waterfall continues. Designer Kate is on board as is photographer Ian Carroll

5 comments:

  1. Thank you- I'm overwhelmed- that makes the second nomination in two weeks! I am still thinking about my answers to the first set of challenges and questions. Does this mean I have to find answers to 22 questions? What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I decided I couldn't improve on Kathryn's questions, so it's still the same 11 questions (not 22!).

    ReplyDelete